Enforcement refers to the actions taken to collect child support, spousal support, and/or medical support.

Income Withholding

A court or administrative order directing the non-custodial parent’s employer to deduct child support from his/her wages. This is one of the quickest and most effective enforcement remedies.

Reporting the NCP to Credit Bureaus

If the Non-custodial parent’s arrears are greater than $1000, this information is automatically submitted to credit reporting agencies. Once the arrears balance reaches zero, it is reported as such. However, the debt will remain on the credit file for 7 years based on credit law.

Certifying debts for Income Tax offsets

If a parent owes back support (at least $150 if his or her child receives TANF or $500 if the child does not receive TANF), the state can report the parent to the Internal Revenue Service and the State Department of Revenue. Support is then deducted from the parent’s federal or state tax refund and paid to the family (or to the state). A $10 certification fee will be deducted from any money collected by the intercept.

Federal Passport Denial, Revocation or Restriction Program

If the non-custodial parent’s arrears are greater than $2500, a case may be eligible for passport denial.

Financial Institution Data Match (FIDM)

The purpose of FIDM is to identify accounts within financial institutions belonging to non-custodial parents who are delinquent in their child support obligations. Once identified, these accounts are subject to liens and levies.


A lien is a legal hold on property so that the debt must be paid before the property can be sold or refinanced. A lien can be placed on real estate or personal property such as vehicles, bank accounts, insurance settlements or lump sum payments

License Suspension/Revocation

Non paying non-custodial parents could possibly have their driver’s, professional, sporting and/or recreational licenses suspended, revoked or withheld.

Federal Prosecution

A 1992 law makes it a federal crime to cross state lines in order to avoid paying child support. These cases are prosecuted by federal authorities. Contact your child support worker for more information.