Child day care centers in Alabama legally operate in one of two ways: Licensed or license exempt. All centers that require a license must be licensed by the Department of Human Resources and renewed every two years. The Department of Human Resources prescribes and enforces minimum standards for licensing approval. Consultation is provided to assist providers and parents. Every licensed center must be in compliance with licensing regulations as prescribed by the State Department of Human Resources.
The Child Care Services Division, Office of Child Care Licensing is responsible for the following functions:
- Licensing day care/nighttime centers and homes.
- Visiting day care/nighttime centers and homes to verify compliance with Minimum Standards.
- Maintaining information filed by churches choosing to be exempt from licensure.
- Investigating licensing violation complaints and recommending adverse action for day care centers and homes when non-compliance of standards warrant.
- Offering consultation to prospective and existing day care/nighttime center and home providers.
- Interpreting Minimum Standards for day care/nighttime centers and homes.
- Application For A License to Operate a Day Care/Nighttime Center
- Statewide Day Care Centers Directory
- Licensing Process
- License Exempt Day Care Facilities
- Information to be Submitted to the Department of Human Resources Before a Day Care Center is Licensed
- Day Care Center License Requirements
- Minimum Standards for Day Care Centers and Nighttime Centers Manual – Alabama Law, Code of Alabama 1975, Title 38, (Chapter 7, pages 105-116 of Minimum Standards Manual)
- Minimum Standards for Family Day Care Homes, Family Nighttime Homes, Group Day Care Homes and Group Nighttime Homes
- Health and Safety Official CCDF Guidelines
- Out of School Time Health and Safety Guidelines Book
- PROPOSED-Effective September 13, 2021 Child Care Licensing and Performance Standards for Day Care Centers and Nighttime Centers
- PROPOSED-Effective September 13, 2021 Child Care Licensing and Performance Standards for Family Day Care Homes and Family Nighttime Homes/Group Day Care Homes and Group Nighttime Homes
- PROPOSED-Effective September 13, 2021 Health and Safety Guidelines Requirements and Procedures for Out of School Time Facilities Participating in the Child Care Subsidy Program
- PROPOSED-Effective September 13, 2021 Health and Safety Guidelines Requirements and Procedures for Facilities Participating in the Child Care Subsidy Program