Preschool programs which are an integral part of a local church ministry or a religious nonprofit elementary school, and are so recognized in the church or school’s documents, are not required to be licensed by the Department of Human Resources, provided that the following material is submitted to the department (view Alabama Code § 38-7-3):
- A Notice to Maintain Exemption or a Notice for a New Exemption.
- A written fire department inspection report with no violations cited (obtained from a representative of the State Fire Marshal’s Office or a local fire inspector who enforces the current fire code adopted by the State Fire Marshal).
- A written health department inspection report (obtained from the county health department).
- Staff names and criminal history background checks. Background check results and suitability letters must be submitted to the department for all employees.
- Proof of property, casualty, and liability insurance in the amount of $1 million per occurrence, $2 million aggregate annual limits, general liability policy (medical pay coverage should be part of the package).
- An affidavit from the person responsible for the facility
- Affidavits from parents/guardians (only required if maintaining an exemption)
To find out if your child care provider is licensed, click here: Statewide Day Care Directory