If a family moves into the State of Alabama with an adopted child who receives a special needs adoption subsidy that includes Medicaid and needs to be certified to receive Alabama Medicaid, they need to contact the Office of Adoption Intake Consultant at 334-242-9500. The Adoption Intake Consultant is the State Administrator of the Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance (ICAMA). Alabama is a member state and does reciprocate with ICAMA member states only.

For adopted children from other states who are IV-E eligible and for those adopted children receiving state subsidies from ICAMA member states moving into Alabama, the adoption assistance state must furnish documentation on the child’s eligibility and the information listed above to Alabama SDHR Office of Adoption. The Office of Adoption will request that Alabama Medicaid Agency certify the child(ren) for Alabama Medicaid.