- Abuse is a painful reality for thousands of Alabama’s elderly and disabled adults.
- The elderly population is the fastest growing segment of our society.
- The hidden problem of adult abuse is on the rise as elders are living longer and requiring more care from others.
- Adult abuse often occurs among families experiencing stress.
- Most adults desire to continue living independently.
- Although adult abuse usually occurs in a family setting, health care or social service providers may abuse those in their care.
- Adult abuse can occur in all racial and ethnic groups and among families in all income levels.
- Adults often suffer humiliation and embarrassment whenever they are abused, neglected or exploited.
- Regardless of age or ability, each individual deserves to be safe from harm by those who come in contact with them on a regular basis.
To report Adult Abuse call your local county DHR office
Adult Abuse Hotline – 1-800-458-7214 or contact local law enforcement